Meaning of Hydrosphere

What is Hydrosphere:

As hydrosphere, or hydrosphere, is called the set of waters found on planet Earth. As such, it is a word that is made up of the root hydro-, from the Greek ὑδρο- (hydro-) which means ‘water’, and the word, also Greek, σφαῖρα (sphaira), which translates as ‘sphere’.

hydrosphereIn this sense, the hydrosphere comprises, according to the Geographythe waters found in oceans, seas, rivers, lakes, lagoons, as well as the groundwater and those that are frozen, already in the glaciersalready in the polar ice caps.

the hydrosphere covers three quarters of the earth’s surfacebeing that 97% is represented by salt water (oceans, seas), and the remaining 3% (rivers, lakes, groundwater) is made up of fresh water.

As such, water passes from one state to another, and from one reservoir to another, thanks to the hydrological cycle or water cycle. In this sense, the water cycle energizes the hydrosphere.

See also Water Cycle.

The hydrosphere originated as consequence of the cooling of the planet’s surfacewhich caused all the water present in the atmosphere in gaseous form to pass into a liquid state and give rise to the oceans, seas, rivers, lakes, lagoons and groundwater.

The hydrosphere is essential for the development of life on the planet, climate regulation, and the modeling and transformation of the earth’s crust.

hydrosphere, lithosphere and atmosphere

Our planet is made up of three layers that surround it externally: the hydrosphere, the lithosphere and the atmosphere.

The hydrosphere includes the set of the waters found on the earth’s surface (oceans, seas, rivers, lakes, lagoons and groundwater).

You may be interested:  Meaning of Infinity

The lithospherefor its part, is the outer layer of the earth; it is made up of solid materials, and has a thickness that fluctuates between 20 and 70 km in the continental crust, and 10 km in the oceanic crust; approximately 30% of the total surface of the lithosphere is emerged.

The atmosphere is the gaseous layer that surrounds the previous two; It is approximately one thousand kilometers thick, works as a regulator of the earth’s temperature and protects us from solar radiation; In it, meteorological processes take place and gases are found that are essential for life.

Both the hydrosphere, the lithosphere and the atmosphere are essential for the development of life in the planet.

If you wish, you can also consult our article on:

  • Atmosphere
  • lithosphere